Apple pie is delicious. Let’s face it, it is irresistible I could eat a whole apple pie myself. It’s so sweet you can’t get enough. An even better thing apart from this pie being vegan is that is has rhubarb in it. The rhubarb gives an amazing sour taste, when mixed with the sweet apples, creates a bitter sweet symphony in your mouth.
Time to make: 2 hours
Meal type: Dessert
- 350g of Flour
- 200g of Sugar
- A pinch of Salt
- 225g of Vegan butter
- 100 ml of Water
- 10 Apples
- 2 Tbsps of Cinnamon
- 3 stalks of Rhubarb
- 40g of Vegan Whipped Cream
- Peel the rhubarb and apples, slice into small cubes. In order to make the filling’s right sweet and sour flavour let the rhubarb and apples cook in a small pan along with a dash of butter, sugar and cinnamon. Check on the filling every couple of minutes and adjust the sugar if need be.
- In a bowl add: flour, sugar and salt and mix. Add in the vegan butter and water to make a ball of dough. Let it set in the fridge whilst the filling is being cooked.
- Take out an oven proof dish and lay in some of the dough. Pop into the oven and let it brown gently.
- After the crust is done, add in the filling. For the top crust, you can go crazy with designs, I simply ripped my dough into small pieces and laid them next to each other but slightly overlapping.
- Place the pie into an oven, lower the heat and let is slowly cook.
- Check on the pie and when it is nice and golden brown take it out and let it cool. Once cooled, serve with vegan ice cream or vegan whipped cream.